A 26-year-old Kenyan man has succumbed to severe burns after his workmate at a milk processing factory in Sachangwan, Nakuru County opened a boiler's hot water inlet while he was still inside cleaning.
Enok Bii, a casual worker at Sameer Agricultural and Livestock Limited, had been instructed by a supervisor to clean the boiler when the incident happened.
It is yet to be established whether his colleague was aware he was still inside before opening the pipe.
The electrical engineering diploma holder was rushed to St. Joseph Hospital in Molo with severe burns before being referred to Nakuru War Memorial Hospital where he died two days later.
“He came with 87 percent burns,” the hospital’s Patricia Musale said.
Bii's father John Rono said the factory's management did not clearly explain how the inlet pipe was opened while his son was still inside.
“I have been having sleepless nights since the incident happened,” said Rono.
The family is seeking compensation for their son, who lives behind a wife and a nine-month-old child.
“We will make sure that the matter will go to court and ensure that the family is compensated by the company,” Winnie Lang’at, the family lawyer said.
Sheila Koech, a supervisor at the milk plant, declined to comment.
An autopsy report by pathologist Titus Ngulungu reads, "The body shows fresh burns from hot liquid affecting the head, upper limbs, back……… The total burnt surface is estimated at 87 percent.”
Bii will be laid to rest on Tuesday at his father’s farm in Keringet, Kuresoi South.