Thousands of residents in the city have been rendered homeless after the Nairobi county government on Wednesday morning began demolition of condemned buildings in Nairobi’s Zimmerman estate.
Governor Mike Sonko's administration says the exercise will be extended to other estates in Nairobi on Thursday, resulting in more than 1,000 unsafe buildings being flattened.
Sonko says the demolition is aimed at averting disasters as witnessed last week in Ruai estate, where a four-story structure collapsed, killing two people. Two days earlier, another five-story building which was still under construction came down in Juja area.
"My administration in conjunction with other government agencies has enhanced the demolition of condemned buildings in Nairobi," Sonko said on Wednesday.
He added: "As promised all sub-standard buildings earmarked for demolition in the city will be brought down to avert disasters as recently witnessed in Ruai."
“Today, the demolition exercise is happening in Zimmerman estate, Roysambu constituency. The exercise will be extended to other estates in Nairobi from tomorrow,” he added.