2 Killed, 50 Injured in Kitengela Rally Clashes

2 Killed, 50 Injured in Kitengela Rally Clashes

Two young men were killed and dozens of others injured during clashes between police and civilians at an opposition rally in Kitengela on Sunday, 15 February.

The violence occurred during the ODM “Linda Wananchi” tour led by Edwin Sifuna and Babu Owino. Witnesses and opposition leaders said police fired live ammunition and used teargas against crowds they described as unarmed. Families who identified the bodies at City Mortuary reported severe injuries, including a fatal gunshot wound to the head.

Opposition figures attributed the confrontation to what they called a wider pattern of repression under the Kenya Kwanza administration. On Monday, 16 February, Eugene Wamalwa described the incident as evidence of systemic human rights violations and said the matter would be pursued both within Kenya and internationally. Kalonzo Musyoka said the opposition would consider presenting its case to the International Criminal Court.

The events also highlighted tensions within police leadership. DCP party leader Rigathi Gachagua criticised Inspector General Douglas Kanja and his deputies, Gilbert Masengeli and Eliud Lagat, for failing to attend a scheduled meeting at police headquarters. A junior officer was sent in their place. Opposition leaders declined to proceed with the meeting and said they would return on Friday, 20 February, seeking clarification on the state of the police command structure.

Mr Gachagua alleged that some officers were acting under outside influence, disrupting the chain of command and carrying out unlawful orders. He linked the Kitengela incident to earlier unrest, including the ACK Witima church attack, and claimed that officers involved had been identified at the residence of a local MP.

Martha Karua has circulated a letter naming county officials, police officers and civilians she believes should be held responsible for alleged abuses. Opposition leaders said accountability for the Kitengela events would remain a priority as political tensions continue ahead of the general election.

Add new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
CAPTCHA
Solve this simple math problem and enter the result. E.g. for 1+3, enter 4.
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.