Famous Nairobi fast food seller, Chicken Inn has apologized to a customer who was allegedly served chips 'infested' with worms.
This comes after a video of a city woman expressing her gripe over the potato chips she bought at the popular joint went viral on social media.
In the video, the unidentified lady showed parts of the potato chips that contained black objects she claims to be worms.
If you love your life, AVOID Chicken Inn like a PLAGUE!!...They sold me rotten chicken wings on two separate occasions. The Westlands Oil Libya branch, opposite Sankara. To make matters worse, I had bought like 10 boxes, for my friends. This particular case doesn't shock me pic.twitter.com/fPP2FdB5xw
— Xtian Dela™ (@xtiandela) April 5, 2019
The video was tweeted by Kenyan online influencer Xtian Dela, who also shared his experience with Chicken Inn foods.
"If you love your life, AVOID Chicken Inn like a PLAGUE!!...They sold me rotten chicken wings on two separate occasions. The Westlands Oil Libya branch, opposite Sankara. To make matters worse, I had bought like 10 boxes, for my friends. This particular case doesn't shock me," Dela tweets.
Dela's tweet prompted other online users to come out to give their experiences with the joint's dishes.
Ken Wes notes: “This also happened to me twice at Chicken Inn; one on Mbagathi Way and another at Garden City Mall. Due to the rotten chicken, I was served, I suffered food poisoning. Avoid Chicken Inn, guys.”
Al Fy says: “This [Chicken Inn] is the worst [fast food restaurant]. I had to buy medicine valued at Ksh7, 000 because of what their food did to my stomach.”
Call Me Ess tweets: “The Ngong Road outlet is the worst! They will literally sell you uncooked, rotten chicken.”
This has forced Chicken Inn to issue a statement apologizing to the customer and assuring of their food's quality.
“On Thursday 4th of April 2019 it came to our attention that a video had been posted on social media regarding a compromised portion of chips purchased by a customer from one of our branches,” says Chicken Inn.
“We apologize to how disturbing this was to the customer concerned and to our loyal customers at large. We take matters of food and safety very seriously as these are core to our business. We wish to assure our customers that we are investigating the matter internally with our supplier to get to the root of what happened.”