The government has assured Kenyans that it will not be shutting down the internet during the August 8 general elections.
Through Information, Communications and Technology Cabinet Secretary Joe Mucheru, the government said that there were no intentions to disable the internet in the country, adding that the state need the internet for smooth election process.
Mucheru however, said that the government will not hesitate to take tough actions against internet users found inciting Kenyans to violence through hate speech.
“You have seen that this has been the most peaceful time before elections. We are talking thirty days before the elections and the country is fairly peaceful so I am not anticipating that there is any time we are going to switch off the internet,” he said.
“But you have to be prepared as a country and the things that you need to do to ensure we are safe and at the moment, we have no plans of switching of the internet, media or anything because everybody is using the same technology for elections,” he stated.
The CS said that the work of the government is to protect Kenyans during and after the election.
“We are very clear that as a country, we have to take care of Kenya first. Even after August 8, Kenya will continue, and so we cannot let a few people try to bring this country down in any way,” he indicated.
‘So we will take every measure that will be required to ensure that as the constitution requires us to do, we protect Kenyans wherever they are but so far there are no indications that we need to take action.”