ICC Judge Withdraws from Uhuru Kenyatta's Case

Printer-friendly versionPDF version
Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji

One of the judges in the Uhuru Kenyatta’s trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC) has requested to withdraw from the case. The ICC Presidency announced that following a request from Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji to withdraw from the case, the Trial Chamber will be re-constituted to replace Judge Eboe-Osuji with Judge Geoffrey Henderson, a native of Trinidada and Tobago.

“On 30 January 2014, the Presidency of the International Criminal Court (ICC) decided to reconstitute Trial Chamber V(b) in the case The Prosecutor v. Uhuru Muigai Kenyatta, following the request of Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji. As of 1 February 2014, Judge Geoffrey A. Henderson will replace Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji on the bench”, read the statement sent by the ICC Presidency to newsrooms.

 

No reason was given for Judge Chile Eboe-Osuji’s withdrawal from the case.

He will remain the presiding judge in the cases against William Ruto and Josua arap Sang.

 

 

Hakika's picture
Hakika
I think he does not want to be bogged down in two controversial cases that appear to have been poorly investigated. He must already been bored enough in the courtroom that he is already presiding over in moderating and protecting witnesses that from the appearance so far either were very unprepared or highly coached. He can not say this publicly but no one wants to be a judge in a case that the prosecutor has openly admitted she has no credible evidence. I hope the other three judges will be wise enough on February 5 during the case conference to recommend termination of the case against Uhuru Kenyatta. William Ruto will himself soon be smiling back home as a free man. That does not mean they did not have some measure of responsibility in the PEV. It only means that the office of the prosecutor at the ICC was duped to believing that they had an open and closed case. The real culprits are still roaming freely in Kenya while those who might have been suspects only by association are defending themselves at the Hague. Do you know who is loosing big from the incompetence of the office of the prosecutor? The 2007 PEV victims. They now have a double tragedy. Being victims of both PEV and the prosecution's negligence and incompetence. I wonder what Ocampo, Bensouda, and their masters (US, UK, etc) are thinking of the unfolding events!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions to Mwakilishi.com.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.

Facebook Comments Box

Follow us on Twitter @mwakilishi.

Featured Article

When the world met in Asuncion Paraguay for the sixth Global Peace Convention (GPC) recently, Kenya once again left its mark as the land of great achievers, and those of us who were fortunate to be in what South Americans prefer to call “The Mothe...

1012 reads

Featured Article

Early this week, a group of men pounced on a middle-aged woman and stripped her naked for allegedly being inappropriately dressed.

The incident which has since attracted the attention of the Director of Public Prosecution, Keriako Tobiko ha...

8311 reads

Featured Article

You know that things are thick when citizens living in the diaspora decide to intervene for wrongs committed in their countries in a bid to salvage a situation. The stripping incident not only affected women locally but also the Kenyan women who l...

10402 reads

Featured Article

A British blogger has characterized Kenyans as lazy and non-progressive compare to our East African neighbors. ‘Mzungu MKenya’ says he has been traveling the the East African region frequently for the ten years, but says that in those ten...

5972 reads

SYNDICATED NEWS FEEDS

Aggregated Feeds