National Super Alliance (NASA) leaders have given government a 24-hour ultimatum to reinstate security detail for presidential candidate Raila Odinga and his running mate Kalonzo Musyoka or face mass action.
The opposition outfit made the demand despite denials from the police service that the security officers assigned to the two had been withdrawn. “This is not negotiable! Should anything happen to our any of our principals we shall place blame squarely on President Uhuru Kenyatta and DP William Ruto,” warned Orange Democratic Movement Chairman John Mbadi.
Speaking in a press briefing at Orange House in Nairobi on Tuesday, the leaders expressed their disappointment in the government terming the move to withdraw the security team of Raila and Kalonzo as a move to intimidate them against the planned anti-IEBC protests. “The right to picket is enshrined in our constitution…we will exercise our rights without fear or intimidation,” asserted Mbadi.
The leaders further claimed that they have learned of a plot by Gatundu South MP, Moses Kuria, to disrupt their peaceful demos using the outlawed Mungiki group. “We did what is required by law and gave notice to the police and we expect them to provide is with security,” said Mbadi “We shall not be intimidated… and we are ready to pay any price for this” he added.
National Super Alliance President Candidate Raila Odinga in a press briefing at his Capital Hill office condemned the withdrawal of his security. He said Kenyans are his security and he is not worried about it.
"Nobody has informed me on the withdrawal. I woke up and found the officers had been recalled,” said Mr Odinga.
“However my security are the people of Kenya who we will stand with irrespective of the circumstances.”