It has emerged that President Uhuru Kenyatta has instructed his lawyers to go move back to the court seeking re-counting of presidential votes cast on August 8th general elections that has since been nullified.
The Standard reports that the president’s legal team will file a judicial review of the Supreme Court’s decision that invalidated his victory.
Uhuru’s legal team is believed to be polishing the new application that could trigger a fresh legal battle with the opposition National Super Alliance (Nasa) in the coming weeks.
Sources said that the decision to move back to court was informed by the Supreme Court’s order that the ballot boxes used in the August 8th election be preserved according to the law.
It is the position of Jubilee Party that the ballots cast on August 8th be re-counted in public.
The new application would come even as the cabinet approved a Sh10 billion budget for a repeat presidential poll, slated for October 26th.
Jubilee Party Vice Chairman David Murathe said the application for judicial review will officially be lodged next week with a view of having ballot boxes opened and votes recounted.
“The first thing I need to tell you is that we are ready, completely ready for a fresh election. But it has become abundantly clear that our competitors are not interested in another election,".
"Because the Supreme Court said the problem was in transmission, we would like the will of the people as expressed in the August 8th election to be validated and there will be no need for a repeat election,” he told The Standard.
On Saturday, National Super Alliance Presidential flag bearer Raila Odinga alleged that President Uhuru was pushing for recount of votes, because they had already stuffed the extra ballots printed by Dubai-based printing firm, Al Ghurair, which he wants blacklisted and barred from printing ballots for the fresh poll.