President Uhuru Kenyatta and his deputy William Ruto have united in defending the late former powerful KANU-era cabinet minister Nicholas Biwott against past allegations, saying they were untrue and that he was a ‘clean man’.
Speaking during his burial ceremony in Toot, Elgeyo Marakwet County on Thursday, the two leaders said the government will protect all properties owned by the billionaire, who passed on last week at Karen hospital in Nairobi.
“We will make sure no one touches them,” said Ruto of the late Biwott’s property.
His sentiments were echoed by President Uhuru Kenyatta and other speakers who addressed mourners during the ceremony attended by tens of local and international leaders.
“When the history of this country is written there will be many unsung heroes but I want to tell you there are men and women in this country who quietly but firmly and with confidence are responsible for what Kenya is today, sound, stable country with a growing economy, and Nicholas Biwott is one of those gentlemen,” said President Uhuru Kenyatta.
“What can I say about Biwott? I knew him from a very early age. He was a close confidant of my father and relied on him immensely. When I asked him why, he said he could get the job done...he was not always the most popular man in the room, but you could not fault his strategic thinking,” Baringo senator Gideon Moi said.