Kiambu governor William Kabogo on Sunday announced that he will run to defend his seat as an independent candidate in the August general election, facing off with Ferdinand Waititu of Jubilee Party a second time.
Kabogo lost to Waititu in the Jubilee primaries last month, garnering a paltry 69,916 votes against Waititu’s 353,604 votes.
"After much deliberation and having consulted with my wife and the rest of my family. I stand here today to announce my independent candidature for a second-time term as your Governor. Due to public demand, I have decided to honour the wishes of the people of Kiambu," Kabogo said on Sunday in an address to the media.
Kabogo hopes the results will be different in the general elections than it was in the primary election, saying there was rigging in the nomination process. "The elections had many flaws and since our campaign was about transformation, we have the evidence that there was rigging," he said.
Kabogo, who had been mostly silent since he conceded to Waititu after the Jubilee nomination, said his silence was as a result of the peace pact that he had signed, saying "My silence was as a result of the peace pact that I signed. The younger Kabogo would have handled things differently."